If you’ve ever shopped Target, you might have encountered one of their lovely “Instant Substitute” signs. An instant substitute is when a sale item is out of stock and in addition to offering a rain check, Target will also suggest a similar product you might be interested in buying.
How are substitutes picked?
- Each store has employees whose job it is to go through out of stock sale items.
- When they set up a rain check on the price gun, it asks them if they also want to set up a substitution.
- Stores get graded on how many substitutions they give relative to the rain checks. The more subs, the higher ranking!
What are the rules of substitution?
- It must be regular priced. No items that are already on sale or clearance.
- It must be in the same aisle as the rain check item.
- When an item is picked, it’s put on discount according to the price gun’s suggestion.
— Isra H (@thefrugalette) March 27, 2012